Thursday, February 15, 2007

Mother

In my last entry I mentioned my mother and I think I can address this subject now. I never in her entire life was she able to be captured on film with any articulation. It was almost divinely anomalous; her face would blur, shadows would suppress, and I remember a distinct series wherein the camera never captured her directly even though she had been facing the lens and vice versa, and when the pictures developed there was always this amazing white light as if the photographer were shooting directly into the afternoon sun and it always blinded the camera to all or part of her face. Her only visual document that ever existed was an oil portrait that melted in the attic, reminding one of one of De Kooning’s hideous women.

She was always fond of the Blue Jay to the point she maintained an aviary specifically for her collection of them. Consequently she always complained of blues music demeaning the color of sea and heaven. She spent a lot of time in her aviary. Father, when he was around, always thought it too much. One day he went in, drunk, with a Winchester, and shot every bird dead. She was in there at the time and some of the little bodies exploded all over her face. She could only sit in catatonic shock. Realizing what he’d done, father filed for divorce and promptly left. I haven’t seen him since. But in the weeks before he left I remember our house always being completely silent. They never played records and they never spoke. I was four years old at the time, and I remember my mother putting me to bed in complete silence, sometimes cradling my head and sometimes merely stroking my forehead. I was silent, too.

Before he left my father cleaned out the aviary, all the leaves and branches, and all the body remnants spread about like rotten tomatoes. He took it all in several bags to the front lawn to be collected by the garbage men. Before they were taken, I snuck into those bags and collected as many of the feathers as I could, many stained with blood and stuck together, and kept them in a treasure chest. When I was a twelve I took the feathers and made a collage of them, still soiled from that day in the aviary, and I have that, framed, still today.

I was 22 when she died. I had moved out on my own four years prior, and I was coming over to bring a cake one summer afternoon—carrot cake was her favorite—, and I saw her sitting in her chair with that same catatonic expression as the day father killed her birds. She wasn’t breathing, and I just sat there and stared into her eyes. I didn’t move for two hours.

No comments: